Get ready for the easiest and most delicious vegetarian pancakes you’ve ever known! Vegetarian pancakes and waffles can sometimes be a little difficult to master and I’ve found many experiences when I end up with soggy, soft pancakes that fall apart, (I usually eat them anyway hahaha). However, this recipe is one of my foolproof choices. What I will recommend if you are a beginner is that you really need a good quality non-stick pan.
As I mentioned before this mix is super simple and you will only need a few ingredients, most of which you already have in the kitchen; you can vary the amount of flour a little and make a denser mix and make something like a bread or cupcakes if you want to experiment a little more.
The main components of this recipe are mashed banana and oatmeal, you can choose a whole grain oatmeal and gluten free if you wish, so you will get some slow release carbohydrates and then natural sugars from the banana.
Bananas are a great alternative to eggs for pancakes and also help add a lovely sweet flavor. I literally use banana puree in many of my recipes today, especially since I’m experimenting with more plant-based baking.
I’ve always loved cooking blueberries or any other forest fruit; they are one of my favorite fruits and often combine so deliciously with any recipe. You can always vary your choice in this recipe: strawberries, blackberries, cherries or raspberries… I think all of them would be very tasty too!
If you want an easy, quick and deliciously healthy option for a morning at home, a moment to indulge yourself or pamper someone special please don’t hesitate to try this option…
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coconut/almond milk
- 1 mashed banana
- Handful fresh blueberries
- Dash Vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Coconut oil or vegan butter for cooking
- Mash the banana with a fork until nice and smooth.
- Stir through the oats, milk, vanilla, salt and baking powder until everything is well combined. Add in your blueberries and carefully fold these through the batter.
- Heat a tsp of coconut oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and once the oil is hot, add in a generous spoonful of the batter.
- Cook until golden on both sides, then repeat this for the remaining mixture.
- Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and enjoy!